Warning: is_dir(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(..) is not within the allowed path(s): (/dev/urandom:/home/httpd/html/alojamientos/fortifiedplaces) in /home/httpd/html/alojamientos/fortifiedplaces/wp-content/plugins/wp-tabular/libs/class.plugin.php on line 39

Warning: is_dir(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(..) is not within the allowed path(s): (/dev/urandom:/home/httpd/html/alojamientos/fortifiedplaces) in /home/httpd/html/alojamientos/fortifiedplaces/wp-content/plugins/wp-tabular/libs/class.plugin.php on line 27

Warning: is_dir(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(..) is not within the allowed path(s): (/dev/urandom:/home/httpd/html/alojamientos/fortifiedplaces) in /home/httpd/html/alojamientos/fortifiedplaces/wp-content/plugins/wp-tabular/libs/class.plugin.php on line 49
CASTILLO SAN SEBASTIÁN « Fortified Places Sevilla

CASTILLO SAN SEBASTIÁN

 

 

Castillo de San Sebastián is a fortification located in an isle 500 metres away from the coast. It is connected to the city through a jetty that provides pedestrian access to the fortification. Its location is very strategic, since it is situated between the Bay of Cadiz and the Vendaval Sea. This strategic position has made this fortification have a relevant role in the defence of the city and the bay. During history, it has had the role of surveillance and communication, controlling the access to the bay through the Caleta.

If we look at this fortification at a closer scale, it is one of the two fortifications located at the Caleta. Together with the Castillo de Santa Catalina, they both enclose and delimitate this coastal space. During history, they both have had a defence role crossing fire. Today, they are singular landmarks that give character to the Caleta.

Castillo de San Sebastián, unlike most of the fortifications of the Bay of Cadiz, has the singularity that its form is not dictated by fortification typologies. On the contrary, the shape of the isle dictates its irregular polygonal form. The fist defensive tower on the isle was built on 1603 and its larger development was during the eighteenth century. Its metallic lighthouse, built in 1913, is the only metallic lighthouse in Spain.

Due to the bicentenary of the 1812 Constitution, the fortification has been refurbished. Since its use will no longer be military and it is pretended to be public to organize many kind of events, the refurbishment has consisted on repairing and consolidating the existing constructions to adapt it to public use.